HVAC is an all-encompassing term that stands for heating, ventilation and air conditioning. It’s often used to refer to your home’s complete heating and cooling system, which includes:
- Heating and cooling equipment, such as a furnace, heat pump, air conditioner or ductless mini-split
- Indoor air quality products like air filters, air filtration systems, germicidal UV lights, whole-house humidifiers and dehumidifiers and fresh air ventilation systems
- Thermostats and home zoning systems
While there are a variety of options for heating and cooling your home, these systems work similarly by:
- Using a source of fresh air inside or outside your home for combustion or transferring heat.
- Using a filter to trap particles and allergens.
- Distributing heated or cooled air through ductwork or straight into a specific room.